ConnectLED Best Practice
Evluma occasionally issues updates for the ConnectLED Android, Windows (PC) and iOS apps. If you are experiencing an issue with ConnectLED please confirm that you are running the latest version of the app before trying again. The latest version of the app can be found on Google Play (for Android) or the Apple App Store (for iOS).
ConnectLED Windows (PC) can be downloaded directly here.
A Username and Password is required to run ConnectLED.
My AREAMAX™ or OMNIMAX™ is flashing. What does this mean?
- When an Evluma lamp is first powered on it will flash to indicate the mode that it is in.
- Flashes 1x - The lamp is in Failsafe Mode.
- Flashes 2x - Photocontrol Failsafe has been turned OFF.
- Flashes 6x - When you connect to an Evluma lamp with ConnectLED™, it will flash 6x to confirm that you have connected to the lamp.
- Flashes 3x + 1 - You have successfully disconnected the lamp from service using ConnectLED™. The lamp will remain off at all times.
- Flashes 20x - The lamp time has not been set. Please set the time using ConnectLED™.
AREAMAX/OMNIMAX Modes Defined
- Failsafe Mode – Photocontrol Failsafe™ is activated and the Evlulma lamp is collecting dusk-till-dawn transition events from the photocontrol. If the photocontrol should fail, Photocontrol Failsafe™ will take control of the light. Please see Technical Bulletin.
- Photocontrol Failsafe™ OFF - Photocontrol Failsafe has been deactivated. The AreaMax is collecting dusk-till-dawn transition events from the photocontrol. If the photocontrol should fail the light will remain in the failed condition. Typically, a photocontrol fails in the ‘on’ position.
If your photocontrol should fail within the first 15 days and miss 3 dawn to dusk events, Photocontrol Failsafe will initialize and respond according to either
- the regional settings programmed at the factory or
- to the official sunrise and sunset times for that exact location if ‘Installed’ with ConnectLED. If the photocontrol should fail after the first 15 days, Photocontrol Failsafe will adjust for the unique environmental conditions surrounding the lamp. Likewise, if the lamp is displaced from its original programmed location, Photocontrol Failsafe will adjust the on/off response accordingly. Feel confident in the reuse of old photocontrols knowing you will have light at night regardless of when it might fail.
If the move is within the same district then there is no need to re-install it with the ConnectLED Install function. If the move is across state, then re-installation is a good idea.
The AreaMax will adapt its calibration continuously even if it is moved, but using the Install function in ConnectLED is the preferred method to reinitialize it. The calibration can be reset to a zero state by using the Install function on ConnectLED. This updates both the time and the GPS settings used by Failsafe as the initial starting point for its calibration and triggers the reset. The time zone will need to be manually updated in the tablet SETTINGS if the lamp location moves to a new time zone.
No. The AreaMax runs on UTC (Coordinated Universal Time).
“Coordinated Universal Time (French: temps universel coordonné), abbreviated as UTC, is the primary time standard by which the world regulates clocks and time. It is, within about 1 second, mean solar time at 0° longitude, it does not observe daylight saving time.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time
The time zone settings define local solar time, placing noon when the sun is highest overhead. Daylight savings time is an artificial adjustment, unrelated to the sun’s exact cycle that shifts hours of daylight later into the evening. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
It is not necessary to perform a “glove test” on AreaMax models with the integrated photocontrol. If this is the preferred method of testing, please allow up to two minutes for the photocontrol to energize the light.
At installation, every model of the AreaMax will flash. This flash indicates that the AreaMax is functioning properly and the mode that it is in. A red LED light located at the edge of the white internal reflector also serves to indicate that the AreaMax is connected to power. The red LED light might be hard to see in bright sunlight.
Response times during the installation testing of all market available photocontrols vary based on pre-installation lighting conditions. For most photocontrols, a capacitor stores light energy as a safety precaution against rapid changes in lighting, such as clouds passing or headlights. This maintains the consistent, safe operation of the luminaire.
On 9/1/2015 Evluma started shipping AreaMax with a newly designed integrated photocontrol. Usually, our design improvements are “under the hood,” but in the case of the photocontrol with its thick, UV-resistant transparent polycarbonate you can “see” this change.
Windows updates are managed through the ConnectLED Administrator Portal (CAP). Evluma will send an email via the CAP to all ConnectLED Windows Admins notifying them of the update plus a secure link to download it from. Installation instructions will be provided.
As a best practice Evluma recommends wiring around the legacy ballast. OmniMax is approved as a retrofit in UL1598 fixtures through UL1598C when installed properly bypassing the legacy ballast. In general, installing any retrofit into an approved UL1598 fixture will void the UL certification unless the retrofit itself is approved as UL1598 or UL1598C. Many corncob retrofits do not have these certifications and can present a safety hazard due to overheating.
When you are installing an OmniMax you have the option to add a lamp name. This lamp name could be a pole number, street address or describe the lamp position. If you take this step you can tell the first time you attempt to find lamps if any lamp in range has an error condition just from the preliminary scan.
The shape of the metal fixture can influence the direction of the Bluetooth signal. You may need to adjust your location one or two feet to the side and search for lamps again. If you have several lamps in the area, hitting refresh several times may help. Each time you refresh adds a second to the scan time allowing for more information to be gathered. When the check mark appears in the list upon lamp selection (iOS and Windows versions) the lamp you are connecting to should be flashing.
If a lamp (AreaMax or OmniMax) is powered off while connected via Bluetooth to ConnectLED, the changes made in that session are lost. The lamp does not save its programming into permanent memory while connected via Bluetooth. After programming, the lamp writes its changed parameters to permanent memory after Bluetooth is disconnected. To ensure the changes are saved in the lamp, return to the Home screen (PC), or the Find Lamps screen (Android), to disconnect from the lamp prior to removing power to the lamp.
ConnectLED iOS v1.1.1 can remember a Bluetooth connection for up to 5 minutes. After connecting to a lamp with ConnectLED and changing the programming, try turning the Bluetooth OFF and ON in the iPhone/iPad Settings. This will disconnect the connected lamp from Bluetooth and the lamp will get a chance to save the changes.
GENERAL QUESTIONS EVERY LED LUMINAIRE MANUFACTURER SHOULD ANSWER:
Evluma products designated as “ROHS” are compliant with the threshold requirements of the following: European Union’s Restriction on Use of Hazardous Substances directive (EU Directive 2002/95/EC (“RoHS 1 “), recast Directive 2011 /65/EU (“RoHS 2”), four phthalates Within (EU) 2015/863 and Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (“REACH”) substances of very high concern (SVHC) above the regulatory threshold of 0.1 % at the Article 33 level.
The AreaMax product family has an expected L70 of >100,000 hours. TM-21 calculations are used to determine “useful lifetime” of an LED, or a set point such as L70, a shorthand for lumen depreciation to 70% of initial lumen output. TM-21 calculations use the LED manufacturer’s LM-80 data and the luminaire manufacturer’s independently gathered In-Stitu test data to determine L70.